A snapshot of the turkey industry in Canada (2015)
|Number of Turkey Farmers||535|
|Total Turkey Production – All Categories (million kg)||171.0|
|Total Farmgate Value (million $) – 2015||396|
|Total Turkey Meat Exports (million kg)||19.2|
|Total Turkey Meat Imports (million kg)||2.7|
|Number of Commercial Turkey Hatcheries||8|
|Number of Federally Inspected Turkey Processing Plants||20|
|Turkey Farmers of Canada; Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada; Statistics Canada Reviewed October 2016|
Annual and seasonal consumption statistics (2015)
- Canadians consumed 150.3 million kg (Mkg) of turkey in the year 2015.
- Per capita turkey consumption in 2015 was 4.1 kg.
- An estimated 60.8 Mkg of turkey and turkey products were purchased at retail by Canadians in 2015.
- Of that 60.8 Mkg, 44.5 Mkg of whole turkeys were purchased.
- In 2015, Canadian households consumed a total of 7.1 million whole turkeys.
- Annual sales of turkey parts and processed turkey products in Canadian supermarkets increased from 8.8 Mkg in 1993, to 16.3 Mkg in 2015.
- At Thanksgiving 2015, 2.5 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 34% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- 32% of all Canadian households (4.6 million) purchased turkey and turkey products for Thanksgiving 2015.
- At Christmas 2015, 3.3 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 47% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- 38% of Canadian households (5.4 million) purchased turkey and turkey products for Christmas 2015.