Canadian Turkey Consumption - 2012
Annual and seasonal consumption statistics.
- Canadians consumed 142.0 million kg (Mkg) of turkey in the year 2012.
- Per Capita turkey consumption in 2012 was 4.1 kg.
- An estimated 71.8 Mkg of turkey and turkey products were purchased at retail by Canadians in 2012.
- Of that 71.8 Mkg, 53.0 Mkg of whole turkeys were purchased.
- In 2012, Canadian households consumed a total of 8.8 million whole turkeys.
- Annual sales of turkey parts and processed turkey products in Canadian supermarkets increased from 8.8 Mkg in 1993, to 18.5 Mkg in 2012.
- At Thanksgiving 2012, 3.1 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 35% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- 37% of all Canadian households (5.0 million) purchased turkey and turkey products for Thanksgiving 2012.
- At Christmas 2012, 3.9 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 44 % of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- 40.6% of Canadian households (5.5 million) purchased turkey and turkey products for Christmas 2012.