A snapshot of the turkey industry in Canada (2021)
Turkey Farmers of Canada; Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada; Statistics Canada Reviewed September 2022
|Number of Turkey Farmers||510+|
|Total Turkey Production – All Categories (million kg)||150.3|
|Total Farmgate Value (million $) – 2021||397.1|
|Total Turkey Meat Exports (million kg)||22.3|
|Total Turkey Meat Imports (million kg)||2.7|
|Number of Commercial Turkey Hatcheries||7|
|Number of Federally Inspected Turkey Processing Plants||17|
|Turkey Farmers of Canada; Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada; Statistics Canada. Reviewed September 2022|
Annual and seasonal consumption statistics (2021)
- Canadians consumed 133.3 million kg (Mkg) of turkey in the year 2021.
- Per capita turkey consumption in 2021 was 3.5 kg.
- The Nielson Company reported an estimated 47.7.3 Mkg of turkey and turkey products were purchased at retail by Canadians in 2021 (excluding deli).
- Of that 47.7.3 Mkg, 36.5 Mkg of whole turkeys were purchased.
- In 2021, Canadian households consumed a total of 6.1 million whole turkeys.
- Annual sales of turkey parts and processed turkey products in Canadian supermarkets increased from 10.7 Mkg in 2017, to 11.2 Mkg in 2021 (excluding deli).
At Thanksgiving 2021, 2.7 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 45% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
At Christmas 2021, 2.1 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 35% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
Canadian Turkey Stats 1974-2021 e-Book
A statistical history of the Canadian turkey industry, with select information on competing meats and international markets.
Read the e-book