A snapshot of the turkey industry in Canada (2016)
|Number of Turkey Farmers||551|
|Total Turkey Production – All Categories (million kg)||183.3|
|Total Farmgate Value (million $) – 2016||412|
|Total Turkey Meat Exports (million kg)||26.1|
|Total Turkey Meat Imports (million kg)||3.1|
|Number of Commercial Turkey Hatcheries||8|
|Number of Federally Inspected Turkey Processing Plants||17|
|Turkey Farmers of Canada; Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada; Statistics Canada Reviewed June 2017|
Annual and seasonal consumption statistics (2016)
- Canadians consumed 154.4 million kg (Mkg) of turkey in the year 2016.
- Per capita turkey consumption in 2016 was 4.3 kg.
- An estimated 58.8 Mkg of turkey and turkey products were purchased at retail by Canadians in 2016.
- Of that 58.8 Mkg, 44.8 Mkg of whole turkeys were purchased.
- In 2016, Canadian households consumed a total of 7.3 million whole turkeys.
- Annual sales of turkey parts and processed turkey products in Canadian supermarkets increased from 8.8 Mkg in 1993, to 14.0 Mkg in 2016.
- At Thanksgiving 2016, 2.6 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 40% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- 30% of all Canadian households (4.2 million) purchased turkey and turkey products for Thanksgiving 2016.
- At Christmas 2016, 3.1 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 41.7% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- 33% of Canadian households (4.7 million) purchased turkey and turkey products for Christmas 2016.