A snapshot of the turkey industry in Canada (2017)
|Number of Turkey Farmers||542|
|Total Turkey Production – All Categories (million kg)||170.9|
|Total Farmgate Value (million $) – 2017||384|
|Total Turkey Meat Exports (million kg)||24.3|
|Total Turkey Meat Imports (million kg)||2.8|
|Number of Commercial Turkey Hatcheries||8|
|Number of Federally Inspected Turkey Processing Plants||18|
|Turkey Farmers of Canada; Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada; Statistics Canada Reviewed June 2018|
Annual and seasonal consumption statistics (2017)
- Canadians consumed 153.1 million kg (Mkg) of turkey in the year 2017.
- Per capita turkey consumption in 2017 was 4.2 kg.
- An estimated 57.6 Mkg of turkey and turkey products were purchased at retail by Canadians in 2017.
- Of that 57.6 Mkg, 43.2 Mkg of whole turkeys were purchased.
- In 2017, Canadian households consumed a total of 7.2 million whole turkeys.
- Annual sales of turkey parts and processed turkey products in Canadian supermarkets increased from 8.8 Mkg in 1993, to 14.0 Mkg in 2017.
- At Thanksgiving 2017, 2.2 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 31% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- 29% of all Canadian households (4.2 million) purchased turkey and turkey products for Thanksgiving 2017.
- At Christmas 2017, 3.3 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 47% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- 36% of Canadian households (5.1 million) purchased turkey and turkey products for Christmas 2017.