A snapshot of the turkey industry in Canada (2019)
|Number of Turkey Farmers||522|
|Total Turkey Production – All Categories (million kg)||165.0|
|Total Farmgate Value (million $) – 2019||382.6|
|Total Turkey Meat Exports (million kg)||22.4|
|Total Turkey Meat Imports (million kg)||2.9|
|Number of Commercial Turkey Hatcheries||8|
|Number of Federally Inspected Turkey Processing Plants||17|
|Turkey Farmers of Canada; Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada; Statistics Canada Reviewed August 2020|
Annual and seasonal consumption statistics (2019)
- Canadians consumed 144.3 million kg (Mkg) of turkey in the year 2019.
- Per capita turkey consumption in 2019 was 3.8 kg.
- An estimated 51.3 Mkg of turkey and turkey products were purchased at retail by Canadians in 2019 (excluding deli).
- Of that 51.3 Mkg, 40.0 Mkg of whole turkeys were purchased.
- In 2019, Canadian households consumed a total of 6.3 million whole turkeys.
- Annual sales of turkey parts and processed turkey products in Canadian supermarkets increased from 8.8 Mkg in 1993, to 11.3 Mkg in 2019 (excluding deli).
- At Thanksgiving 2019, 2.5 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 39% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- At Christmas 2019, 2.7 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 42% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.