A snapshot of the turkey industry in Canada (2018)
|Number of Turkey Farmers||531|
|Total Turkey Production – All Categories (million kg)||168.1|
|Total Farmgate Value (million $) – 2018||392|
|Total Turkey Meat Exports (million kg)||20.6|
|Total Turkey Meat Imports (million kg)||2.7|
|Number of Commercial Turkey Hatcheries||8|
|Number of Federally Inspected Turkey Processing Plants||19|
|Turkey Farmers of Canada; Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada; Statistics Canada Reviewed August 2019|
Annual and seasonal consumption statistics (2018)
- Canadians consumed 153.9 million kg (Mkg) of turkey in the year 2018.
- Per capita turkey consumption in 2018 was 4.2 kg.
- An estimated 51.3 Mkg of turkey and turkey products were purchased at retail by Canadians in 2018.
- Of that 51.3 Mkg, 36.6 Mkg of whole turkeys were purchased.
- In 2018, Canadian households consumed a total of 6.1 million whole turkeys.
- Annual sales of turkey parts and processed turkey products in Canadian supermarkets increased from 8.8 Mkg in 1993, to 14.7 Mkg in 2018.
- At Thanksgiving 2018, 2.2 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 35% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- 28% of all Canadian households (4.0 million) purchased turkey and turkey products for Thanksgiving 2018.
- At Christmas 2018, 2.4 million whole turkeys were purchased by Canadians, equal to 39% of all whole turkeys that were sold over the year.
- 31% of Canadian households (4.5 million) purchased turkey and turkey products for Christmas 2018.